Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Graduates come back to UNCW to perform for the First Annual Alumni Music Concert


“I've never known a musician who regretted being one. Whatever deceptions life may have in store for you, music itself is not going to let you down.” –Virgil Thompson (American Composer 1986-1989)

It seems there is truth to what Thompson believes. Ryan Woodall ‘03 grew up around music but started out majoring in Biology at UNCW before changing over to the Music Department. Woodall says, “Deciding to study bass was probably the wisest decision I've made concerning my musical career as it seems no matter where I go someone always needs a bassist.  It's a decision that [has] taken me all over the world and allowed me many opportunities such as playing in the Cab Calloway band and performing with Lynn Roberts.”

Performing is a huge part of being a musician and many of them live for it. Justin Hoke ‘07 has been playing guitar for 16 years and loves performing. “The best part about performing is being able to share my musical perspective with others. Having the opportunity to share my favorite music with my own unique interpretation is an exciting and personal experience. As a performer, my goal is to share the enjoyment that I have experienced from the music with the audience,” explains Hoke.

Many students have come to UNCW and initially majored in something other than music and then later switched after being exposed to it in different ways. “I had always been in music, but didn't think I wanted to study it full time.  I registered for all of the music courses, thinking I would minor in it, and found myself more and more in the music building and less and less over in the sciences,” says Bridgid Eversole ‘00, referring to her experience of becoming a Music major at UNCW.

These performers, and also Brad Merritt ’97, will share their talents and love of music during the first annual Alumni Music Concert on Saturday, October 23. It will be a special event featuring Department of Music alumni, followed by a dessert reception in the Cultural Arts lobby.  Tickets for the concert are $15 and include the complimentary reception and can be purchased from the Kenan Auditorium Box Office by calling 910.962.3931. All proceeds will go toward UNCW music scholarships.

No comments: